Applying for student visa: The procedure
Applying for a student visa is a studious process and you must have fulfilled all requirements as for the application procedure of IRCC. Therefore, please follow the correct protocol to avaoid any rejections and complicated file processing. There are a few things should be checked off your list before you start the process and some conditions that you must follow while applying for student visa to Canada. Make sure you go through the list step-by-step over the whole application process, so you do not miss anything.
Must haves for the student visa application to Canada
1. Meet the Canada Visa requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
2. LOA showing that you have been accepted by a designated learning institute (DLI).
3. According to the program of your choice, you prove that you have adequate funds to pay your tuition fee and living expenses.
4. Clearing your criminal record. You need to prove that you have a clean background and no criminal record by way of proving police clearance.
5. Prove you are in good health. You need to do a health checkup and produce a medical certificate that certifies that you are in good health.
6. On paper or at the interview you need to convince the visa officer that you will leave Canada once you complete your studies.
7. Prove that you have enough money to pay for your expenses such as tuition fees, living expenses for yourself and any family member who come with you in Canada, and for return transportation to your home country including you and any family member who has come with you
You may also check with the Canada government website and understand if there are any additional requirements and needs that you must follow.
Where can I Apply for a Student Visa in Canada? Do I have to apply online?
The immigration law defines that, you can apply for Student Visa in Canada Online or On Paper. To apply online, you need to create an account on the official Canada Immigration and Citizenship (CIC) website, under immigration tab. You need to attach, filled applications, certificates and supporting documents as digital copies. In order to make application processing fees, you will also need a valid credit/debit card.
Paper applications have separate procedures to follow and you have to apply with paper version of your application and rest of the details. Be physically present at VFS center closer to you and then submission.
You may apply for a student visa with a specialized process through Student Direct Stream Canada. At this time is applicable to student visa applicants of China, India, Vietnam and the Philippines
Student Direct Stream (SDS), is liked with the student directly. Scotia Bank in Canada backs the process, as it will be providing a GIC of 10000 CAD to deserving students for the first year living expenses of Canada. In this process, IELTS requirement is a must: IELTS Band Requirements, that is an overall 6.5, with no less than 6 bands in each module. Without IELTS Student visa in Canada would not be possible with SDS. The application without IELTS would be considered non-SDS, and would be processed as a general application. As explained earlier, there has to be some English language proficiency proof for a student visa in Canada. The SDS program is available to apply for the students of China, India, Vietnam and the Philippines.
How long will it take to process a student visa
This is well known checking through CIC online checking tool. Please click the below given link so that, you can enter your data to understand approximate processing times. Student Visa in Canada processing time for your application keeps changing according to the country you are applying from, and it keeps updating weekly. As far as Student Visa Canada tracking is concerned, you can check the latest processing time for Study Permit Application on the official website of Canada Immigration and Citizenship.
A list of documents required for Canada student visa application
Briefly the list goes as,
1. A valid passport
2. A letter of acceptance from the college stating the program of study, including start and end dates
3. Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependents during your entire stay in Canada
4. A letter from your sponsoring organization, if you are being sponsored
5. A medical examination and a police clearance
Find out details below
Letter of Acceptance.
We have explained this document in one of the previous sections.
Proof of Identity
• A Valid Passport, which must allow you to return to your home country.
• Two recent Passport size photographs with Name and Date of Birth written on the back. The student Visa Canada Photo Size is 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″). The size of a person’s face from chin to crown should be between 31 mm (1 1/4″) and 36 mm (1 7/16″).
Proof of college fee payment
Proof that the fees have been paid. The amount of fees to be paid is indicated in the LOA. You need to show, demonstrate with valid proof that you have made the fee payment. Some colleges may have exceptions where you don’t need any fee payment until you start your program in Canada.
Your education proof
It is important that you show your education background, what you have studied and completed, your education details that demonstrates you have academic background and showing your intention to pursue further education in Canada. Minimum requirements could be,
• Canadian Curriculum High School OR
• Have at least a score of 6.5 bands for IELTS OR
• Have at least a score of 7 for Niveaux de Compétence Linguistique Canadiens (Test d’évaluation de français)
Show that you have the ability to spend money to complete your studies in Canada
Showing funds and the ability to pay for your college and your living in Canada are very important requirements. Because the officer will check essentially whether you have the ability to pay for your college fees. Such proof can be shown in multiple ways.
• In case you have transferred money to Canada, proof of your Canadian Bank Account in your name.
• In certain situations you have a GIC (Guaranteed Investment Certificate) from Canadian Financial Institute. Details of the same.
• If you have a sponsor, such as parent, then a sponsorship letter for student visa in Canada will be required. Usually your close family can sponsor a student Visa in Canada? Student’s parents, relatives, friends and employers can sponsor the student.
• Proof of Student / Education Loan for Student Visa in Canada
• Bank Statement for the last four months
• A draft that can be converted to Canadian Dollars
• Proof of tuition and housing fees paid
Proof of Medical Requirements
It is compulsory every applicant and dependents to prove that they are medically admissible and they will not become a burden to Canadian economy. You must consultant a family physician and carry out the medical exam. Results of the medical examination are not given to you. Those results will be forwarded to the visa processing officers and they make a decision about your medical situation.
There are two ways to get a medical examination for immigration. That could be upfront medical examination, before you submit your application or medical examination after your submission of the visa application. At that time the visa officer will call you for a medical examination.
Upfront Medical Exam
• You can get your medical exam done before you submit your application. This is called the upfront exam. You can go to the panel physician listed on the Canadian Website under Immigration Tab, and choose a Panel Physician in your nearby location.
• When Upfront medical results are submitted, you have an advantage that the application will be processed faster. Usually, upfront medical does not affect the outcome of the application.
• when up front medical completed, you must submit the proof for upfront examination with your application.
A letter of explanation showing that your ability to complete studies and your intention to come back to the country of origin. The document may include justifications such as the reasons you have to Study in Canada and your ability to complete the studies and move back to your country.
Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ Canada):
• if you are studying in Quebec, you will need to have CAQ, and your institute can guide you through the process of acquiring it.
• If you got approved but do not have CAQ, you can apply for Student Visa in Canada with approval of Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI)
Custodian Declaration Form Canada:
It is compulsory, anyone who is minor and below 18 years of age to have a custodian declaration and signed by custodian. These forms are available onlineIt is a two-page form where the custodian signs on the first page, and parents or legal guardians sign on the second page.
Provide college fee payment
When you receive LOA, your college will request you to pay for certain portion of the fee or semester fee. When you pay this fee, you must include the confirmation of this payment with your visa application.
Provide two photos
Every applicant must provide two photos according to the sizes given by the IRCC. Please check online resource or speak with your VFS to find out correct photograph dimensions.
You must complete biometrics, either at the time of application or once the visa office request you to submit biometrics. This step is compulsory.